Design Responses > About Parking Facilities > Case Studies >
London College of Communication
An over-ground uncovered bike park linked to the London College of Communication. Users can access the facility via the street. Parking furniture is accommodated by Sheffield U stands. The parking is a free public facility available 24/24 hours but it is assumed that most of the users are students and many seem to use the facility 16 hours/day. The parking furniture is placed to ensure that they do not block pedestrian desire lines hence stands are tucked between the trees so as not to take away too much space for bike parking from public shared space.
Designer / Architect
Roger Stocker Cycling Officer of Southwark Council
Cost of provision
£100 each and £60 per installation, funded by TfL
• Lamps placed over the parking give a feeling of security
• Natural protection by students who provide 'eyes on the street'
• No signage stating this is a CCTV area
• Not enough space (students using lamp, posts, trees to lock their bikes)
• Large space not well used