Design Responses > About Parking Furniture > Case Studies
The Cyclehoop was created in response to the Reinventing the Bike Shed brief of 2006. Designed for public use, the Cyclehoop is a hoop which is retro-fitted onto lampposts and signposts to facilitate more secure parking at typically informal parking sites. Unlike the existing post which a Cyclehoop must attach to, the Cyclehoop encourages cyclists to lock both wheels and the frame and offers an alternative parking solution to the typical industrial U-stands/Sheffield stands. The Cyclehoop is made from cast steel, powder coated or nylon coated.
Typical Context of Use
The Cyclehoop is aimed at public and semi-public use in much the same way as U-stands: street areas and shared spaces and anywhere there may be posts for the hoop to be attached to. It is important to ensure the location of the hoop does not encourage cycle parking that may cause an obstruction or hazard to other users of the space.
Typical Length of Stay
Short to medium stay 0-6 hours.
Number of Bikes per Unit
Approximate Cost per Bike
To be confirmed but cheaper than a typical U-stand.
Locking Opportunities / Lock Compatibility
Good – both wheels and the frame can be locked with all types of locks assuming they can span the wheel, frame and hoop
Ease of Use / Time to Lock
Typically very quick and easy to use with a variety of different bikes.
All types of locks can be used.
• Increases the security of informal bike parking locations
• Cheaper and easier to install than U-stands
• Keeps bikes upright
• Suitable for all bikes
• By reusing existing furniture, it helps to reduce street clutter
• Cast from solid steel and is much more robust than a Sheffield stand, which is made from steel tubing.
• Option of permanent near nuts which cannot be unbolted, or security bolts which allows the flexibility for the Cyclehoop to be relocated.
• Parking locations are restricted to existing signposts
• Can cause an obstruction if inconsiderately located on street – many posts on the street are located at junctions or beside car parking bays