Design Responses > About Parking Facilities > Case Studies >
Kichijoji (Tokyo JP)
A self standing building bike parking facility created to reduce the number of bicycles parked on the street. Parking is provided for up to 2000 bikes. Access to the facility is open. The facility is open from 0630-2000 every day. Parking furniture is 4 floors of freestanding cycle parking, so bicycles are required to have kickstand legs. The facility is staffed until 2000 daily. Users can park for 24 hours, on single ticket use or 3 month subscriptions.
Designer / Architect
Musashino Ward Planning office
Cost of provision
Approx. ¥55 million (£275,000)
• This type of building can be easily erected, it has so many modular and transferable components that can be easily reused, or recycled
• Easy maintenance. It can be easily retrofitted with CCTV cameras, alarms, or bicycle racks
• Its capacity could be optimised by installing double deck tier racks
• The site is not locked, if this solution is to be adapted in other countries, it might need some access control solution to be fitted.
• Does not have conveyor belts on the ramps. It can be heavy to pull a loaded Japanese shopper bicycle therefore the 4 floor is the least used