Design Responses > About Parking Facilities > Case Studies >
Locker Secure Bicycle Shed
An underground bike parking facility serving the railway station Amsterdam Zuid transport interchange. The facility provides parking for an average of 2000 cycles. Access is via a luggage escalator from the square. Parking furniture is 2 tier. Parking is charged for at a rate of €0.50 per day or an annual fee of €55. Users can park for as long as they wish.
The city of Amsterdam
Designer / Architect
Cost of provision
€4.4m + annual maintenance cost of €250,000.
• Functional, basic and inexpensive
• The ‘Locker’ bike parks offer a simple and convenient parking service
• Raffle ticket systems and attendant help improve security service and inbuilt shops
• The furniture provided works for 90% of the users, but would create problems for those who don’t have integrated locks and who need to lock both wheels and the frame to the stand to be secure
• Also the furniture provided does not work for carrier cycles, mountain bikes and tricycles
• Some people continued to fly park above the facility – even when it was available free of charge – indicating that for some, dismounting and going into a bike park is too much of an effort for them